On Monday, July 20, King Arthur Flour announced their rebranding of their business and logo to King Arthur Baking Company. The flour company was founded in 1790, and is America’s first flour company. They have re-aligned their company to represent their mission – BAKE JOY. With their superior ingredients they are certain that “when you bake, you bake joy.“
In honor of the new change I have made a Tourte de Seigle (100% Rye Sourdough) using “Ryes and Shine” Medium Organic Rye Flour.
The tourte de seigle is a difficult bread to handle and shape because there is no gluten present in rye flour. This causes the dough to handle like wet sand and when baked it has a tight crumb. When executed correctly the flavor and aroma is incredible. For the formula I used a 100% Rye levain that was gifted to me at the “Fête du Pain” in 2018, by Jeffery Hamelman. It is as follows:
- 100% Rye Flour 158g
- 70% Water 111g
- 20% Rye Levain 32g
- Total: 300g
To feed the rye levain, I combined all ingredients and mixed with a spoon until there were no dry bits of rye flour. I covered the levain and left it on the kitchen counter at 70°F for 12 hours.
NOTE – Since rye does not contain gluten it will not rise like a typical wheat based levain or preferment. Rather, the dough mass will spread as it ferments. I dust the top of the dough mass with rye flour immediately after feeding, so as it spreads I can see where the dry flour cracked apart during fermentation. I also do this during the bulk ferment and final proof.
The final dough formula is as follows:
100% Rye Flour 344g
95% Warm Water 325g
80% Rye Levain 275g
1.8% Salt 6g
Total: 950g 1 loaf
To mix the Tourte de Seigle simply mix the “Ryes and Shine” Medium Rye flour, 90% of the water, and levain until there are no dry bits of rye left. Once incorporated add the salt and the remaining 10% of water. Mix until all water is absorbed. Dust the top of the mixture with rye flour, cover the bowl with plastic film, and bulk ferment at room temperature for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes transfer to the refrigerator over night.
The next morning, use rye flour to generously dust your banneton basket (or a bowl lined with a kitchen towel). Prepare your work surface by generously dusting the area with rye flour. Remove the cold dough from the refrigerator. Use a curved bowl scraper to release the cold dough from the bowl in one piece and immediately shape as round as possible; as quickly as possible. Gently place the shaped dough seam side DOWN in the banneton, lightly dust the surface of the dough with rye flour, and proof at room temperature until cracks in the flour are visible, roughly 30 minutes. While the dough proofs, preheat oven and Dutch oven to 450°F.
NOTE – The cold extended bulk ferment is key with the Tourte de Seigle. Since there is no gluten protein in rye flour the dough is extremely difficult to handle even for the most skilled and experienced baker. If one tries to shape a boule with a warm dough it will smear. The chilled rye dough is much easier to shape, though you must work quickly, and heavily flour your work surface with rye flour.
Once the Dutch oven is preheated and the dough is proofed gently unload the dough onto a parchment paper and lower into the dutch oven. This bread is not to be scored as there is no gluten to provide structure to the dough.
Cover and bake for 25 minutes with the lid on. After 25 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 25 minutes. Lower the oven to 420°F and bake for an another 10 minutes. At this point you may check the internal temperature of the bread. Once it reads 205°F the bread is finished baking and will need to cool completely, approximately 2 hours.
The final product will be a very aromatic, dense loaf. Since there is no gluten, there is no cell structure.
King Arthur Baking Company is a great resource for recipes, techniques, ingredients, and baker’s tools. Check out their shop here . Thank you King Arthur Baking Company for the “Ryes and Shine” Flour and care package. Time to “Bake Joy”!